Discussion Questions on The Scribe by Matthew Guinn:
1. You could say The Scribe is about good versus evil. Is Thomas Canby all good? Is anyone?
2. How does Atlanta play a role in the novel? Do you need to be familiar with Atlanta to follow the story?
3. Discuss the character of Angus Canby and how he helped to shape and guide his son. Do you have people in your life who helped to shape and guide you?
4. Describe the relationship between Julia and Thomas, along with their history. Would you be as forgiving as Julia four years later?
5. Discuss the role of women in The Scribe.
6. Cyrus Underwood is given a difficult task. Discuss his police work and how he’s treated by the other characters.
7. The International Cotton Exposition is a central part of the novel. Discuss what it must have been like to go to the exposition and see the various new inventions/innovations that were on display there.
8. Do you think the end of the novel sets up for a sequel? Would you want to read it if so?